PADI Wreck Diver
When Koh Tao-ers recently found the World War Two lost American submarine (USS Lagarto) in 75m of Thai waters, the myth that there was no depth and wrecks near Koh Tao was smashed! Since then, over 15 dive able wrecks have been located and new marks are being dived every day. Furthermore, locals and the Thai government are working together to create artificial reefs and underwater structures as we speak. When you do the wreck specialty course with us at Bans Tec we will take you on the Unicorn one full-day dive trip practicing mapping and reel work between dives, breakfast and lunch.
Whether sunk on purpose as an artificial reef or the result of mishap, wrecks open fascinating windows to the past. Most divers find wrecked ships, airplanes and even automobiles nearly irresistible because they’re intriguing to explore, exciting avenues of discovery, and usually teeming with aquatic life. The PADI Wreck Diver course teaches you the ins and outs of rewarding, responsible wreck diving. The fun part of the PADI Wreck Diver course is visiting wrecks, unlocking mysteries and starting to gain the knowledge and experience that allows you to see things that others overlook. Sometimes, only the trained, experienced eye recognizes that a small hole or open door likely caused the vessel’s demise.
What You Learn
• Techniques for diving exploring shipwrecks, and how to avoid common hazards
• How to research and learn the background of your favorite wrecks
• Wreck scuba diving equipment considerations
• Considerations and techniques for entering intact wrecks
• Experience in planning, organizing and making at least four wreck dives
The Scuba Gear You Use
You use all the basic scuba gear including a dive computer, some accessories and a dive light. Check with your local dive shop about gear rentals and packages offered with this course. You can find most everything at the scuba diving shop in your area.
The Learning Materials You Need
Prepare for the exciting -and specialized- world of wreck diving with PADI’s Wreck Diver crew pack. Preview the skills you’ll practice during your open water dives, become familiar with wreck diving etiquette, and take in breath-taking images from wreck diving hotspots around the world. To purchase this product, contact your local PADI Instructor, dive shop or resort.
To enroll in the PADI Wreck Diver course, you must
• Be a PADI Deep Diver – Due to the depth of local wrecks (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
• Be at least PADI Adventure Diver (or have a qualifying certification from another organization)
• Be at least 15 years old
• Have a medical form signed by your physician
Course Duration: 2 Days