TDI Intro to Cave Instructor
Going beyond the light zone and building upon the values found in the TDI Cavern Instructor Evaluation is where the Intro to Cave Instructor Course starts. Intro Instructor candidates will have taught three cavern courses and assisted with at least one Intro to Cave course by this point.
Having been recommended by a TDI Cave Instructor for this evaluation, the candidate will demonstrate the ability to educate overhead students in cave etiquette, communications and cave diving skills in an academic setting.
Required Subject Areas:
• Decompression Theory and its Application to the Special Needs of Cave Diving
• Gas Matching Procedures/Management
• Accident Analysis
• Psychological Considerations
• Equipment Considerations
• Body Posture and Buoyancy Control
• Touch Contact and Communication
• Swimming Techniques
• Review of Problem Solving
• Review of Dive Tables/Computers
• Cave Environment/Conservation
• Land Owner Relations
• Local Access Requirements
• Minimum age 21
• Certified as an open water instructor in active teaching status with an internationally recognized scuba training agency for a minimum of 1 year
• Have a minimum certification of TDI Cavern Instructor or equivalent (e.g. NACD, and NSS-CDS), with active teaching status
• Provide proof of at least 150 full-cave dives
• Provide proof of teaching a minimum of 3 cavern diver courses and assisting with a minimum of 1 complete TDI Introductory Cave Diver course with 1 active TDI Cave Diver Instructor.
• Provide recommendation from a TDI Cave Instructor with which the candidate has assisted on an Intro to Cave course and stating that the candidate is prepared for the instructor evaluation program.
In order to complete this course, students must:
• Complete the TDI Diving in Overhead Environments Instructor written examination with a minimum score of 80 percent and 100 percent remediation
• Complete all land drills and course requirements safely and efficiently
• Demonstrate mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
• Maintain an appropriate level of awareness and respect for the cave environment
• Receive the recommendation for certification by the TDI Training Director
Course Duration: 2 days , 4 dives
*More dives may be required
(Includes 1 cave diving trip)