TDI Full Cave Instructor
Far and above, the TDI Cave Diving Instructor rating is an outstanding accomplishment few can claim. Arriving at Cave Diving Instructor Evaluation, the candidate has conducted at least three Intro to Cave Diving courses as well as having assisted in at least one Cave Diver Course.
Following the same format as Cavern and Intro, the candidate, having been recommended a TDI Full Cave Instructor, will demonstrate many of the Intro skills as well as now adding academic subjects such as gas matching procedures for example.
Additional in-water skills include air sharing through restrictions, lights out drills, traverses, gaps and circuits.
Required Subject Areas:
• Decompression Theory and its Application to the Special Needs of Cave Diving
• Gas Matching Procedures/Management
• Accident Analysis
• Psychological Considerations
• Equipment Considerations
• Body Posture and Buoyancy Control
• Touch Contact and Communication
• Complex Navigation Techniques
• Swimming Techniques
• Review of Problem Solving
• Review of Dive Tables/Computers
• Cave Environment/Conservation
• Land Owner Relations
• Local Access Requirements
• Minimum age 21
• Certified as an open water instructor in active teaching status with an internationally recognized scuba training agency for a minimum of 2 years
• Have a minimum certification of TDI Cavern Instructor or equivalent (e.g. NACD, and NSS-CDS), with active teaching status
• Provide proof of at least 200 full-cave dives
• Provide proof of teaching a minimum of 3 TDI Intro to Cave Diver courses and assisting with a minimum of 1 complete TDI Full Cave Diver course with 1 active TDI Cave Diver Instructor.
• Provide recommendation from a TDI Cave Instructor with which the candidate has assisted on an Intro to Cave course and stating that the candidate is prepared for the instructor evaluation program.
In order to complete this course, students must:
• Complete the TDI Diving in Overhead Environments Instructor written examination with a minimum score of 80 percent and 100 percent remediation
• Complete all land drills and course requirements safely and efficiently
• Demonstrate mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
• Maintain an appropriate level of awareness and respect for the cave environment
• Receive the recommendation for certification by the TDI Training Director
Course Duration: 4 days , 8 dives
*More dives may be required
(Includes 1 cave diving trip)