TDI Cavern Instructor
As the first in a series of overhead courses, the TDI Cavern Instructor Evaluation Course takes a serious look at the professionalism and skills of the candidates. Instructor candidates are evaluated for their level of knowledge and proficiency in presenting a TDI Cavern course as well as their proficiency in demonstrating land and water skills.
While keeping a close eye on the overall attitude towards safety, the evaluator also considers the candidate’s ability to develop skilled, efficient and well educated divers that are aware of the environmental impact that divers may have in cavern systems.
Required Subject Areas:
• Policy of Cavern Diving
• Gas Matching Procedures/Management
• Accident Analysis
• Psychological Considerations
• Equipment Considerations
• Touch Contact
• Swimming Techniques
• Review of Problem Solving
• Review of Dive Tables/Computers
• Cave Environment/Conservation
• Land Owner Relations
• Local Access Requirements
• Minimum age 21
• Certified as an open water instructor in active teaching status with an internationally recognized scuba training agency for at least 1 year
• Have a minimum certification of TDI Nitrox Instructor or equivalent; a TDI Full Cave certification or equivalent (NACD or NSS-CDS)
• Provide proof of at least 100 full cave dives
• Provide proof of teaching a minimum of 4 TDI courses and assisting with a minimum of 1 complete TDI Cavern Diver course with an active TDI Cave Diver Instructor.
• Provide recommendation from a TDI Cave Instructor with which the candidate has assisted in cavern training classes and stating that the candidate is prepared for the instructor evaluation program.
In order to complete this course, students must:
• Complete the TDI Diving in Overhead Environments Instructor written examination with a minimum score of 80 percent and 100 percent remediation
• Complete all land drills and course requirements safely and efficiently
• Demonstrate mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
• Maintain an appropriate level of awareness and respect for the cave environment
• Receive the recommendation for certification by the TDI Training Director
Course Duration: 2 days , 4 dives
*More dives may be required
(Includes 1 cavern diving trip)